Oh the places I've gone!!!


Change: because nothing exciting happens when we are content



Emotions

Here I am, on the other side of the world. In love with more than just the green landscapes, sheer cliffs, and magic greenery. Challenged by more than just the school work. Energized at night, fueled by conversation, and fatigued by day as I finish my 16th mile on a normal class trek. I’ve pushed my body to limits I didn’t know I was training for & questioned my values as I find myself in situations I vowed to avoid. But, physically and spiritually, I am stronger than I have ever been. While a 30 degree incline tones the body, the same goes for internal questioning. The Big Guy Upstairs and I wouldn’t be in constant conversation if it wasn’t for all the questions I have been having all the time. Maybe they aren’t the conversations of saints, but it is better to spend time in silence, side-by-side, with loved ones rather than in separate rooms.


We can plan all we want, but that doesn’t define what will actually happen on the trip. However, we can pack pretty damn well and that will give us some security that whatever is on the unforeseen itinerary can/will be handled. I came on this trip with the intention to blossom academically. I have grown very fond and well-read of the New Zealand landscape and development, but even more-so of myself. Contrary to what my professors may say, I think that that growth is more crucial and impactful on my progress and my capability to succeed.







So, although I can’t walk, haven’t slept, always in a state of confusion and overwhelmed beyond belief, I am in a state of mind and place that is urging me to change into someone I wasn’t before. In a month from now I will see you again and I guarantee you will also be someone who is 10 weeks different from who I saw last. This change may sound scary to you, even to myself, but I am not worried. I can handle it—my mom did help me pack.



Education

I do want to spend some time reflecting about my physical experience here. A major theme in my classes and field trips are not intended for the pretty pictures, but to take note and understand the effort put towards sustainable development. New Zealand is the youngest colonized country, an island that was first inhabited about 2,000 years ago by Polynesians. You see, the island was underwater during the Oligocene Drowning, and after it resurfaced the only animals that evolved were ones that could fly or swim over to it. From that point, evolutions took place, creating a lot of types of birds that could fulfill the roles mammals fill (spreading seeds, creating habitats, food web, etc). The island is also always growing since it literally is cut in half by two tectonic plates: the Indo-Australasian and Pacific, hence, subduction, Alps, volcanoes, earthquakes, and all that good stuff us outdoorsy people love.


Maybe it is because they eat too much vegemite, maybe it is just because the fresh air here helps them think straight, but environmental concern is second-nature here. It took me a long time to notice, since liberal California has me desensitized to sidewalk waste diversion (multi-bin trash cans), but kiwis take the environment and their “Clean, Green, 100% Pure” title seriously. I mean, how do you measure progress when there was no low point to begin at? They are already at the landmark of sustainability the US pretends to value.


I also want to note that this island was first inhabited by Maori, and since this island is a Parliamentary government system, which still is under rule by the British Monarchy, it was established through the Treaty of Waitangi. This document highlights the respect the Maori culture must be held to, although it is up for debate on some ethical standards, my point here is that this country has an obvious appreciation for where it's roots are. For example, everything is in English and Maori for those who speak the language. It is mentioned and respected in more than just the textbooks and history museums.



If you didn’t want to read that whole thing, I don’t blame you. But in summary I mean to say how much I appreciate the representation of value for the environment and it’s culture in this country.



Traveling

I have moved from Wellington to Tongariro for the past week. Here we hiked Tongariro Northern Circuit, Ngauruhoe (Mnt. Doom), and the Tongariro Crossing. And, yes, of course I watched the third Lord of the Rings in preparation for the ascent. After hiking Kilauea Caldera, Ben Lomond, Hooker Valley, and now Ngauruhoe/Tongariro Crossing, we have officially hiked 56 miles in 4 weeks!!  #StrongestBellino












**side note: this does not include side/small hikes so I could personally potentially be at a 70 mile count



Tomorrow I embark on my spring break with my fellow Hobbit friends. We will traverse from Auckland to Hobbiton, Waitomo, Rotorua, Lake Taupo, and back to Wellington! Essentially the coolest parts of the Northern Island!!! Pray that I find a hobbit home to buy and move my whole family into!







Comments

  1. I am happy to read not only are you enjoying God's creation around you but also seeking His creation in you...pushing you in reflection and insight to the person who He knows you can be! Becoming stronger outside and inside, in knowledge and self! Definitely more impactful on your progess of seeking and capability of success! Oh the places you will go...God has helped you pack too! <3 <3 Love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Finally Acknowledge the Elephant

April 2019

WWOOFing: week 5; for future WWOOFers