Kia Kaha

Be strong and go with courage. (Maori)


Well hello! Kia Ora! Welcome. I am from the future. As you read this, know that I am very happy tomorrow! Future me is walking through mystical forests of the Fiordland, smelling mists of waterfalls, drinking delicious instant coffee and singing waiatas. Future me is not getting enough sleep from long adventures and late night conversations, can’t walk from soreness and has never been this happy! I could easily tell you that Queenstown, New Zealand is very much like the Pacific Northwest (in wet weather and lush flora), but it has a magic in the air that I cannot even put into words. I have teared up from happiness staring at the Milky Way on the Mauna Kea volcanic peak (yes that is in Hawai’i), the 5,600+ foot summit of Ben Lomond, and staring at the Fiords of the Doubtful Sound. I know my wet emotions don’t hold much weight, since I cry at just about anything hinting at beauty, but let it be known that I am not the only person here that has been an overflowing waterfall of blubbery tears. This place makes you feel things. 




I am learning a lot about myself, my thoughts, my wants, people, traveling, relationships, and the beauty of connection and poetry. I have found a friend here who shares my love and appreciation for expressive writing, which is a perfect window to share thoughts for experiences one cannot discuss simply. It is so refreshing to spend time writing metaphoric poems and discussing dreams instead of equations and formulas. This program is meant for tree-huggers, therefore we spend most of our time in remote locations in the hills or sleeping after 10+ mile hikes. In the past two weeks, we haven’t been granted many times to go out and experience the nightlife. You would think this would render me bored and itching to stay out, but I have been completely satisfied staying up late to talk. I find myself more awake, sober, sharing ideas than when I go out on a typical night in SLO. I did not even know that these would be the types of memories I would cherish and I am so thankful for UGA.






 I’m also sparing some time to read the textbook every now and then since I haven’t been able to understand a word of my kiwi teachers. 



Things I love about New Zealand so far:
·        The instant coffee
·        The accent (yes I am getting better at it)
·        The morning fog around the mountains
·        The commitment to being clean
·        Everything is green
·        Water is everywhere
·        The accent
·        The airport was so efficient and clean
·        The crazy steep mountains and cliffs everywhere
·        The magic freshness in the air
·        Everyone is super attractive (I’M SERIOUS)
·        Glowworms in the trees that look like diamonds
·        Hydroelectric power
·        The wind and rain
·        How much it looks like Pandora (we are no longer friends if you don’t know what that is)
·        The birds
·        Everyone smells good




It is so hard to keep my eyes open when I traverse this land and so casually see sights I have never seen before. I have dreamt of travelling the world to study the environment and global sustainability, and here I am finally doing it! Even when my legs cannot walk up the stairs to bed because I am so sore, or when I have soaked my last pair of socks since every hike is in the pouring rain, I still must remind myself where I am. I’m telling you, reality is hard to digest. My biggest struggle right now is staying present in each moment, which I know I will so dearly miss while I am back home. 





Sending so much love to you







I will be full ninja by the time I get back. 









Comments

  1. Love love love this! I tear up just reading it! I love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Finally Acknowledge the Elephant

April 2019

WWOOFing: week 5; for future WWOOFers